LI FENG at MANDARIN ORIENTAL HOTEL JAKARTA


Ever since this fancy restaurant established in September 2016 back then, I haven’t paid a visit. How envy hearing some of my foodies friend have tried their signature Black Swan Dumpling which went viral at that time. Lucky me, this month I have a job from my office and it relates to Mandarin Oriental which I have to go back and forth to this hotel. So, having a dinner in one of their restaurant was possible to me hahaha…After a client meeting, I spent my time to dine in their signature Chinese restaurant, Li Feng. Li Feng was set as a replacement of the famous Xin Hwa. I’ve never been to Xin Hwa before so I couldn’t tell you the differences between Li Feng & Xin Hwa, but the Li Feng staff told me that they’re completely different both in style and food.



If Xin Hwa was dominated by the red color, Li Feng appeared softer with blue domination, combining the modern and traditional Chinese ornaments. Every ornaments of Li Feng has a story. The great one was the ocean shaped ceiling, a beautiful blue hanging stone shaped like a water in the ocean tells us about the voyage history and spices trade between Fukien and Batavia, the old Jakarta long time ago. The overall decoration was also in touch of blue, grey and gold and everything was just set so elegant and lux. 


Li Feng offers arrays of authentic and traditional Chinese and Cantonese cuisines with amazing presentation but believe it or not, some of the food was very reasonable in price (you know it’s hard to find reasonable price in five-star hotels right?!). Their dim sum selections was in the line. You can grab them starting from IDR21,000 to 118,000. Holy cheap comparing to the others right. Well, let’s see what I ate here based on the Chef’s recommendation of best-selling items.

Crispy Fish Skin with Salted Egg Yolk – 68K

Appetizer highlight! Super love of this crispy salmon skin glazed with salted egg yolk. Can’t imagine how can they fried such crispy skin. It’s just soooo addictive like you eat “dorokdok” when you eat Mie Kocok Bandung but this one was crispier ever! A very MUST TRY!


Crispy Bean Curd Skin Roll with Shrimps and Preserved Vegetables – 30K

This dim sum was also very good. Flaky and moist skin filled with preserved vegetables. 


Deep Fried Swan Dumpling with Blackpepper Duck Meat – 89K

This was the SUPERSTAR. Most-talked dumpling in town (I thought until now). There’s a phrase stated that “you eat with your eyes before you do with your mouth”, well Li Feng proved with this pretty lookin swan shaped dumplings. Look at how amazing the presentation was, fogged with the beautiful dried ice. Pssst I even need to take their photos in a rush before the dried ice gone hahaha…


The swan dumplings skin were made from the squid black ink, shaped perfectly with flaky texture and filled with shredded black pepper duck meat. The meat was simply lovely with rich black pepper but not too spicy. 


Braised Spinach and Minced Beef Soup with Egg White – 68K

Before the main course, I wish to have something warm for my belly. So, I ordered this soup which was claimed as the store-best-selling-items. I agreed with the award for this soup. The texture was thick and the filing was so generous. Couldn’t imagine before that spinach could be so so good in a thick soup. Overall taste was savory and a slightly salty. Me love it!


Yang Zhou Fried Rice with Prawns and Chicken Char Sieuw – 78K

Prove that Li Feng could escalate the traditional Cantonese cuisine into a high level could be seen in this fried rice. You might expect this was just a fried rice, but I personally taste it different. I super love how they made it in a wok-fried style, like you taste in “nasi goreng tek tek abang-abang” with touch of oriental. Overall taste was so flavorful and a lil bit spicy completed with prawns, vegetables and chicken char sieuw. 


Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pinneaple and Bellpepper – 98K


Another amazing presentation of the Chef’s creation. I couldn’t guess what the idea of this presentation, but the idea of putting a glazed sugar in a wooden stick was just cool! When it’s getting melt, the sugar went down to the food and simply added additional sweet flavor into the sweet and sour chicken. Pssst, don’t forget to try all served in the plate, it’s not only the chicken and the pineapple, I even found a sour and fresh “kedondong”! 


Stir-Fried Asparagus - Prawn Skewer – 148K

To company my big dinner with the fried rice, I chose this Stir-Fried Asparagus with Prawn Skewer. The prawn was so juicy and fresh with sweet and spicy sauce that suit my palate.


Stir-Fried Mixed Vegetable with Garlic Garlic – 68K

Quick choice for someone who need a high consume of vegetable. Containing stir-fried pok choy and broccoli with golden garlic, this dish might remind you for traditional Chinese style vegetables.


Three Dessert Platter – Deep Fried Glutinous Rice Dumpling with Frog Jelly and Coconut Milk, Blueberry Snow Skin Dumpling and Chilled Mango with Pomelo Sago Cream – 118K

I felt so full after those big dishes but there’s always a room for desserts right! I choose this Three Dessert Platter since I didn’t have any idea to choose among those tantalizing desserts selections in the menu book hahaha…Anyway, I made a great decision choosing this. The presentation was so so excellent! Look at that cute fried duck shaped dumpling along with beautiful blueberry mochi and bright mango sago. 


Personally, I love the Blueberry Mochi and Mango Sango rather than the duck shaped dumpling. The Blueberry Mochi served chilled and directly melted in my mouth, while the Chilled Mango with Pomelo Sago Cream tasted so good with fresh mango flavor and super moist sago cream. Addictive! Meanwhile, I had no idea to describe The Deep Fried Glutinous Rice “Duck Shaped” Dumpling. The skin was crispy but the glutinous rice tasted very strange in my mouth and that “frog jelly” filing was indescribable hahaha….


Overall, I enjoyed my dinner in Li Feng. No complaint for everything. The services was good. The waiter was very helpful and for a five-star hotel restaurant, their price and the portion was still reasonable for me, even some are cheaper than not a-five-star-hotel-restaurant! The other good things was I love how they designed their menu book with real photos of each menu to ease everyone imagining what will they eat before it served to their table. Thank you Li Feng Jakarta for having me. It was lovely to spend my night here. Sure will be back for my family dinner. 

Li Feng at Mandarin Oriental Hotel Jakarta
2nd Floor
Jl. M.H Thamrin, Central Jakarta
Ph. +62 21 29938825
IG: @lifengjakarta

No comments