Hurricane's Grill, Gunawarman, Jakarta


I might be one of the person who will gave a standing applause to someone who brought any new restaurant in this hiccoughs economy. Though the Indonesian Rupiah is still escalating without any hope, but at least it seems that interest in Indonesia is still high, right, no wonder people keep believing that putting their interest in a restaurant will be a great deal for their future. Those thinking was slightly come to my mind when hearing the iconic restaurant from Sydney, Hurricane's Grill finally served the crowd in Jakarta. YES, they're FINALLY join the crowd of Gunawarman area right across the H Gourmet and Vibes. I'm not neither Sydneysiders nor tourist who'd visited Aussie before, so right now I will be the first timer reviewing this famous ribs restaurant around Aussie. 


This restaurant is indeed the huge one. They have several branches spread around Bondi Beach, Darling Harbour Waterloo, Surfer's Paradise, Top Ryde City and Brighton Le Sands. They're specializing in premium quality Australian free range and grain fed beef steaks, tasty pork, lamb and beef ribs and Portuguese and BBQ chicken. What I love about them is Hurricane’s signature dishes are cooked using a special grilling style originating from South Africa and oh they have a home-made and unique sauce which very different from the other ribs I've ever had. Gonna tell you details along this review! 


The look of the restaurant is quite classy with the huge logo welcoming everyone in the front door, dim lighting, wood and brick application in certain area and classic checker pattern in their dining chair. The overall area is quite wide with three areas, the Bar, the Main Dining Area, and the VIP area with smoking and non smoking room included. I saw also the stairs to second floor but I forgot to ask whether it's being functioned or not. I immediately love the overall ambiance since for me this restaurant would be a nice place either just to have a beer after office or dinner with my family and kids (they provide Kids Meal!). When I was here last Friday, the place was so packed with long queue but with the good air conditioner, it's still worth to wait the queue. Lucky me, I was here with invitation so I didn't have to wait too long to be seated. After joined with the Hurricane's PR and had a short chit chat, I found some good news that they're not even changing the menu and keep the originality for their loyal and new customers. So, Sydneysiders or Hurricane's Grill fans get ready to fall in love again! 

The menu is actually quite various with range of starters from salad, soups, to choices of seafood as light starters such as calamari, scallops, mussels, etc. The main menu of course focusing on ribs and steak but they also have choices of burgers, pork and fish with selections of alcoholics drinks and wines too. Fortunately, in this food tasting, I got a chance to experience their new menu too. So get ready to droll!

Soup of the Day

Every day they have a different soup to serve. Today, I got a light soup with rich potato flavor with a hint of sweet and salty from cheese. I didn't find what is the name of the soup in the menu and forgot to ask hahaha...but I love this soup. A simple but great for opening. 


Double Decker Burger - 288K

I always feel excited to have burgers as excited as seeing this holy moly double stack of beef patties with melted cheese, crunchy onion rings, lettuce fries and special mushroom sauce. I expected to have a holy experience as I reminding back my experience in eating double beef patties in Shake Shack, Dubai without any additional bun in the middle, but the excitement slightly turned down when finding out the juicy beef patties was a lil bit dry and less-seasoning. One thing help to escalate the taste only the onion and the sauce. I believe the Chef trying to keep the originality and market (which I thought expats) but frankly speaking, for an Indonesian with richer palate like me and I believe you do too, tasteless beef is not an excuse, adding more seasoning into the beef would be better


Steak Rolls - 238K

This guy simply helped getting my appetite back. Fillet tenderloin with caramelized onion and aioli topped with bed of rockets and served with brown bread. I found the fillet was juicy enough with shot of sweet and tangy flavor from the caramelized onion. The brown bread though look dry but it's soft and quite tasty. 


Beef Ribs (Half Rack - 448K)

Whoaaaa, as the first timer I suddenly look so hysterical when seeing how big the beef rib was! It's even ONLY the half portion. Here, they provide two portion Full Rack (448K) and Half Rack (358K). The portion was indeed huge as I thought it to be since they're following the Sydney's portion. But some friends said it's only half of the half portion compared to the original portion in Aussie hahaha. I didn't mind since for me this Half Rack was so huge, like about 12 big ribs served on my plate. HOLY MOLY, it's even enough for sharing to 4 people. Btw, I'm not give any detail judgement for this since I haven't try the original one yet and of course couldn't make any comparison, but honestly I love the Beef Ribs. Aside how juicy and tender the meat, I love their signature ribs sauce I mentioned before, it's not usual BBQ sauce which somehow either too acid or too sweet, this one was simply savory, sweet and slightly tangy


FYI, for all ribs and steaks, Hurricane's Grill provide many choices of side orders ranging from steam vegetables, mashed potato, rice, side chips, baked potato, chicken rice, sweet potato chips to corn chips. 


Hurricane's Goliath (848K)

Look at that name and the price, it's freakin crazy but worth of everything on my plate since this real 1 kg of beef was THE BOMB! This medium-rare boy was simply juicy and tender with the highlight from the sauce. Actually, they have six choices of specialty sauce: garlic, mushroom, peri-peri, monkey gland, pepper and spanish. I tried the pepper one and it was as great as I wanted it to be. Savory, tangy and spicy after taste. Very delectable! 


Portuguese Chicken (Half 188K, Full 248K)

Want something spicy with seriously good eating experience? Try this one! This Portuguese Chicken is also Hurricane's Grill signature dishes. Served in two portions, either half or full chicken. I usually found the grilled chicken was dry inside, but this one was so juicy and tender with the caramelized sauce covered all the skin and shot of tangy and spicy after it came to my mouth. A simple MOUTHGASM! 


THE DESSERTS!

Caramel Mars Bar Cheesecake (128K, for 2)

Aside of the main dishes, the desserts here are also superb including this Caramel Mars Bar Cheesecake. I didn't realize this was a cheese cake since the presentation was similar with brownies, but after I cut it. oh God, I found a heaven there! The cheesecake was simply melted in my mouth! I just love the texture with its rich cheese flavor, shot of caramel outside and crunch of Mars Bar chocolate. Super addictive! 


Pistachio Berries Cake (68K)

Layered of soft and moist pistachio cake with berries jam inside. Unfortunately, I found the cake was a lil bit dry. I thought it's gonna be as moist as the texture. The pistachio flavor wasn't as rich as I wanted to be. 


Chocolate Fudge Cake (68K)

What's best than a plate of melted chocolate cake with vanilla ice cream? For me personally, this one was simply addictive. Everything about rich chocolate and moist texture as I wanted to be was here. 


Well, that's my short review and I wish it's fair enough to judge the food for the first timer like me. Wishing you who read this one, either ex-Sydeysiders or new customers will have more good judgement once you make a visit here. The price for me was quite wise reminding all of the ingredients are all imported and the locations was also too, hey what's you're wishing for to dine in a hype and expensive area like Gunawarman, right! One thing for sure, their Ribs and Steak Roll was something that you can't missed for. I believe Hurricane's Grill will stand longer and bigger as long as they keep their originality along the way. 

Hurricane's Grill
Jl. Gunawarman No. 20
Jakarta Selatan
IG : @hurricanesgrillid

Alcoholic Drink : Yes
Wi-Fi : Yes
Reservation : Very recommended Yes
Price : IDR50,000 to 900,000 for food; IDR50,000 to 200,000 for beverages

No comments