JCF 2012 Closing Dinner : Eat, Drink, & Donate

I might be the one who late to enjoy the festive of this year Jakarta Culinary Festival while I’m away from Jakarta, but JCF 2012 knew that there’s always a chance to enjoy and share the joy of one month of good food, good drinks, and good fun when the invitation of its closing dinner surprised me weeks ago. 

The special closing event actually entitled ‘Eat, Drink & Donate’ Charity Dinner, presented 7 of Indonesia’s best chefs which are each presenting their signature dish and all proceeds of this dinner will be donated to Drive Books Not Cars organization, in support of Taman Bacaan Pelangi and Sahabat Anak. I felt so lucky to come to this joyful dinner! Now, please let me bring you to the joy of having dinner with my fellow food bloggers while donating for those children organization.

Located at Pop Up Resto & Bar, Grand Indonesia, 5th Floor, the official venue of JCF 2012, this dinner was opened by the cold appetizer by Chef Hugo Adrian of Blowfish Kitchen & Bar. It’s Tuna Carpaccio with Okinawa Sauce and Daikon Salad. The tuna was so fresh and juicy. Went so well but the sauce was lil bit sour on my mouth. The Daikon salad was also fresh. A simple and healthy dinner opener! There was also wine pairing served by Yohan Handoyo from Dimatique International paired in several menus, but unfortunately because I’m Muslim I couldn’t taste that kind of drinks.


Second appetizer came from Chef Arimbi Nimpuno, a co founder and Lifestyle Guru of Lifestyle Studio and Arimbi Kitchen. This hot appetizer was very unique since it’s seems like a combination of Indonesia’s and Western heritage. How surprise I was when finding the Grilled King Prawn with Green Curry Espuma surrounded by ‘kerupuk’, an authentic traditional chips of Indonesia. I felt somewhat the appearance of the dish was awful, and the king prawn was also so so, but the green curry espuma tasted a lil bit good, savory and rich of curry and lemon. Tell me I was wrong, but that’s the fact. 


Having disappointed with the hot appetizer, my taste bud awakened when the Pumpkin Soup with Foie Gras by Chef Sandra Djohan, a chef and owner of Epilogue Restaurant, was served. It’s a perfect combination of pumpkin in a soup. I could taste rainbow flavor in its warmth serving. A fusion of sweet pumpkin, cream, milk, and I didn’t know the rest, and it didn’t make me queasy as I tasted the tomato soup on the JCF 2010 back then. The textures of the soup were mild and fluffy so were the foie gras, tender and juicy. Felt like I was being tantalized by this soup. Applause for Chef Sandra Djohan!


Next, we came to the main course which started by Chef Gianfranco Beltrame, an Executive Chef of Casa D’oro, Hotel Indonesia Kempinski Jakarta. It was Ravioli stuffed with Cepe Mushroom, Yellow Pepper Sauce. The pasta served also with a chip but I thought it's like an onion cookies. Crunchy and savory. The ravioli was soft and the cepe mushroom inside was indescribably since I never tasted it before and I just can't share what does it taste haha! but it tasted just plain and a lil bit sour. The yellow pepper sauce was also not so special for me.


The next dish brought me to my dream dining experience where I could taste a dish from one of the best fine dining resto I dreaming on in Jakarta, AMUZ. It was Chef Gilles Marx, a founder and owner of AMUZ Gourmet who brought Steamed Fega Barramundi, Ginger Scented Rice & Lime Coconut Sauce paired with Vina Ventisquero Grey Chardonnay 2010 from Chile. The barramundi or in Indonesia known as ikan kakap putih was tender and well-steamed. The unique part of this dish is pairing the fish with the ginger scented rice which actually tasted like nasi uduk in Indonesia. It became not so international dish, but I thought it might be an Indonesian dish haha. The sauce was not so special but I found a hint from the salmon roe, it's so salty, but refreshing instead.



Before we came to the next dish, ISMAYA Catering gave us a palate cleanser of Orange Granita with Lemon Sorbet. It's so refreshing!


May I call this last main course as the winner of tonight dinner. Whatever my fellow foodies and I named it, the Roasted Bultarra Saltbush Lamb Shoulder Rack with Mustard and Taragon, Radish Agnoloti, Salsa Verde, and Cepes Jus brought by Chef Vindex Tengker, was awesome. The meat served by the Masterchef Indonesia Session 1 judge was a shoulder with a super juicy and tender, I even didn't make too much effort to cut it out. It roasted in a medium well and I could find a hint of tarragon aroma inside the lamb, this aromatic herb made this meat has a rainbow taste. Moreover, the complements of mild and savory mashed potato, red beet, radish agnoloti, salsa verde, and cepes jus tasted fresh and perfect for this meat. Chef Vindex Tengker really does make it right!


The closing dessert might be my guilty pleasure of the tonight dinner. Golden Hazelnut Praline served with Amaretto Nougatine Ice Cream, a sinful dessert brought by Chef Steve Diaz from the upcoming Ismaya Group cakery concept, Collete & Lola that made me remembered the seven stairs of heaven cake by one of the guest chef in the final round of Masterchef Indonesia Season 2 (sorry I forgot the name). This cake is an art. I can find super moist and fluffy cake, texture like a sponge in the first cut but become thick when I cut it deeper. The sprinkles in the top of the cake was the first heaven, the next was inside, a super rich hazelnut praline, sweet and lil bit bitter with the next heaven of the amaretto nougatine which I found like a bar of Toblerone chocolate. The completion of this dessert became sinful when the vanilla ice cream with super strong rum refreshed my thirsty throat. Called me crazy, but this dessert made me sooo guilty. It's like too good to be true hahaha.


Huah, I really satisfied while rubbing my full belly with smile. And the smile was even brighter completed with a super unpredictable moment when I won one of the door prize. I got a super cute JCF 2012 apparel, a dark blue t-shirt written 'Where's The Food' and a red tumbler. Called me lucky, but yeah I am lucky girl that night. Wohooooo!! No no no, it's not finish yet, I am lucky also since I finally get closer with Chef Vindex Tengker, ssssttt it's my Mom that requested me to take picture with him hahaha!

the cute t-shirt and tumblr of JCF 2012

Anyway, I am grateful to be a part of this joyful event. To eat, to drink, to laugh, to feel lucky and of course to share with other people in one night is something that I've never dreaming about. Hopefully, you all who enjoy this month culinary festival will feel the same. Thanks @goorme and @ismaya for the great invitation. See you on the next Jakarta Culinary Festival 2014.

Keep eating, keep munching eaters!

xoxo,

Icha

2 comments

  1. Haha, ciyehhh, yang foto sama chef Vindex...lucky gal, you won the lucky draw =) It's nice to see you again Icha...lo dah kelamaan mangkir dari acara gathering negh >,<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. elyy, iya nice to see yoou too, tp ga sempet ngobrol2 lama nih qta...eh pasta de waraku di PIM kamis lusa diundang ga?

      Delete