Celebrating Chinese New Year with Tien Chao, Gran Melia Hotel

A couple days ago I was invited to join media lunch celebrating the upcoming Chinese New Year at Tien Chao, one of the famous Cantonese and Szechuan restaurant reside at Gran Melia Hotel Jakarta. This is my second time having my lunch here and this resto always please my eyes with its warm interior, a touch of gold and brown with perfect mix of Chinese-theme decor. 

As usual we're gathered at their big round table with fancy set of Chinese dining utensils while enjoying some talks with the PR Officer of Tien Chao, Mira Gartika and Director of MarComm of Gran Melia, Ratna Sjamsiar Idris. Commemorating Chinese ancestor’s tradition, Tien Chao will present Chinese New Year Gala Dinner on January 30, 2014 with three Chinese special set menus completed with Yu Sheng as the first dinner menu prepared by Executive Chinese Chef, Ken Choy. Tien Chao serves three choices of Yu Sheng i.e. Authentic “Yee Sang”, Salmon “Yee Sang” in Red Wine Honey Dressing and “Yee Sang in Thai Style and seven other menus including main course and dessert.

Yee Sang (photo courtesy of Tien Chao)

I was lucky to try several their best menu including the menu on Chinese Set menu. The lunch was opened with Tien Chao new dim sum variation.

Steamed Seafood with Carrot Dumpling in Pumpkin Sauce (IDR55++ per portion). I thought this is the best dim sum I’ve ever tried. I love the pumpkin sauce, not too thick but brought me a great savoury taste with sweet after taste on my throat. Oh and also the ‘something crispy’ inside which I have no idea what it is, but when I bite it, it’s like a coconut chunk and it’s made the dim sum more tasty!


Salmon Wo Tie (IDR48.000++ per portion). This fried dim sum was also the best one. I love the crispy skin outside with soft grilled salmon inside.


Crispy Mango Prawns Roll (IDR48.000++ per portion). I couldn’t guess what’s the secret ingredients given by the Chef on the sauce of this dim sum, but it’s so damn delicious til I didn’t aware of what the taste of the roll hahaha.


For the main course, I tried Smoke Australian Tenderloin Beef (IDR148.000++ per portion). The juicy and tender tenderloin beef blends perfectly with the sauce. It’s sweet with a hint of spicy. Simply love this one.


King Prawn with Butter Cream and Walnut (IDR188.000++ per portion) this is include in Chinese Set Menu. I’m not fans of prawn by the way but this prawn is quite good for me. The butter cream is savoury and balances the original flavour of the prawn coz sometimes I get nausea when eating fresh prawn. The walnut is simply adding a ‘crunchy’ sensation on this dish.


Coconut Jelly with Coconut Ice Cream (IDR48.000++) and Cream Mango (IDR48.000++) closed our lunch. I love how soft the texture of the Cream Mango is. This dessert is simply like pudding but thicker. The mango flavour is also very strong. Unfortunately, since this is sharing, I couldn’t taste the Coconut Jelly dessert. Maybe later I’ll be back for this dessert since my friend said the Coconut Jelly is so delightful.


You can enjoy the Chinese Set Menu with IDR688.000++ per person for Chinese Set Menu 1; IDR788.000++ per person for Chinese Set Menu 2; and IDR988.000++ per person for Chinese Set Menu 3. Beside those set menus, Chef Ken Choy also present other Chinese New Year special menu starting from January 31 to February 28, 2014 such as Peking Duck (IDR368.00++), Braised 6 Head Abalone (IDR338.000++), Braised Sea Cucumber with Fish Maw Dried Scallop served in a claypot (IDR448.000++)

Thank you so much for Tien Chao and Gran Melia Hotel for this kind opportunity. For you who celebrating Chinese New Year hurry booked your table (btw you can book easily via this blog by clicking the widget below this post) and enjoy dinner with your family to open the year of the Horse.

Happy Chinese New Year!


Tien Chao
Lobby 2nd Floor, Gran Melia Hotel
Jl. H.R Rasuna Said Kv. X-0
Kuningan Jakarta 12950
RSVP. (021) 5268080

Twitter : @GranMelia_JKT

No comments