E&O : When Will Meyrick Rocks Jakarta!

It was might be a super shocking experience when Will Meyrick through his mail invited me to a private dinner at his new establish restaurant in Jakarta. Who doesn’t know Will Meyrick? A man with a big smile, a passionate chef, a street food lover til he dubbed as a Street Food Chef, a man behind Sarong and Mama San, two of the best dining places in Bali, a man who knows how to preserve original flavour of food from its original place, a man who willing to share their stories thorough the food crafted by him and his kitchen in crime, Chef Palm Amatawet to me.


It was like a dream when I finally sat with him and Chef Palm, laughing with other bloggers while listening his jokes and of course enjoying our night in his new resto which unify Eastern & Oriental cuisine into something classy. E&O brought to you an Indochina cuisine (Thailand, Vietnam & Burma) with very warm ambience and sophisticated interior which make everyone dining here feel private. However, it’s not as sophisticated as it might look, with a reasonable price, E&O even offer us a bigger portion for sharing.
   

Well, without any command when simple canapés offered to me like Salmon Betel Leaf with Galangal, Dried Shrimps, Roasted Chillies, Coriander and Salmon Roe (32K/each) and  Chicken and Prawn in Egg Net with Peanuts, Lemongrass, Mint, and Pickled Cucumber and Shallot Relish (65K). I really amazed how Chef Will and Palm used the betel leaf, it’s even not as bitter as I imagine my grandmother chewing it for ‘nyirih’. When I folded the leaf to cover the filing, it all just fulfil my expectation, a great combination of dried shrimps and salmon roe in a simple way. So does the second canapé, I just can’t escape from the sensation of chicken and prawn mixed with peanuts. Oh God, while eating what came in my mind only ‘even Chef Will could make this canapés heaven for me’ hahaha..


Next round was a big portion of fried vegetables! It was Selection of Northern Thai Relishes with Nam Prik Ong, Nam Prik Goong and Nam Prik Num and Crispy Tempura Vegetables (125K). This vegetable tempura fried with a good technique resulted on a very crispy texture outside but still we can taste the original texture of the vegetables. I even didn't see a withered spinach covered by those crispy skin. To enjoy this tempura, the Chefs made three condiment i.e. Nam Prik Ong (chicken & tomato), Nam Prik Goong (prawn, chili, and fish sauce) and Nam Prik Num (eggplant, green chili, and garlic). I prefer the Nam Prik Goong since the taste was more flavorous and hot. 


Continued by Southern Hot and Sour Soup of Fish with Tamarind Leaves, Turmeric, Chilies, Lime Leaves and Coriander (85K), I was warned there is a hint inside this fish soup and I didn't have a clue til I bited a big cut of red chili which burnt my tongue! Oh God, I should be careful and listen to Will's jokes hahaha...It's hot not only because the chili inside but also the fusion of tamarind, turmeric, and coriander made this soup became a super 'hot' soup that night. However, I did love their aroma and the juiciness of the fish. 


One thing I love from Thailand cuisine is how they craft mango into something, like what The Chefs done in Grilled Beef Salad with Green Mango, Shallots, Peanuts, Mint and Nahm Jim Jauw (90K). The sourness of mango blends perfectly with the savoury of the peanuts with a hint of mint and a shot of spicy from Nahm Jim Jauw sauce. It even becomes rich when I found a slow cooking and juicy meat inside! It is really refreshing my mouth. For me this is the best mango salad I've ever tried. Trust me you MUST TRY!


Ah I wish I could spend my nite to eat that Thailand salad, but then the next dish came. “Choo Chee” of Crispy Barramundi with Chili and Thai Basil (170K) was also stealing my attention. This fried Barramundi was perfectly cooked until I feel its crispy skin. The meat was very juicy while the curry, which I thought very spicy since it looks so red, was not spicy at all. It was even sweet but has a little spicy after taste. This dish was served with Jasmine Rice imported from Thailand and Canai bread. 


Next was Massaman Curry of Slow Braised Lamb Shank with Cardamom, Shallots, Pumpkin and Tamarind (170K). Oh God, I even tried to empty my stomach for this again haha! The massaman curry is Thailand typical specialty of their Moslem community. This curry is different from other curry such as India’s curry. The spices are richer than the others but still have a sweet sensation inside. This curry was served with a juicy lamb shank. Simply love this dish!


When you get a chance to visit E&O, ensure you won’t miss this Twice-Cooked Beef Short Ribs with Sweet Fish Sauce, Cucumber and Nam Pla Prik (220K). I love how the Chefs made the beef short ribs into a super juicy and tender meat with a sweet hint and spicy after taste from the Nam Pla Prik, a Thailand chili powder and the fish sauce. Enjoy the meat by powdering the Nam Pla Prik first then dip it into the dish sauce. Heaven on earth!


Finally, we came into the desserts! When there were two desserts served, one was made from chocolate and the latter from Durian, I chose the latter first. I never reject something related to Durian as well as this Durian Panna Cotta with White Sticky Rice (50K). Forget the white sticky rice first; I just enjoy how the Chefs made the super puffy and creamy panna cotta with sweet and rich Durian flavour. The more I munch it, the richer the taste of Durian on my mouth. Ah Will Meyrick always know how to please people. 


Cocoa Ganache with Peanut Butter Palm Sugar Ice Cream and Honeycomb Crumble (50K) was also become my guilty pleasure. This was a perfect combination of rich peanut butter ice cream and cocoa ganache with a crunchy sweet crumble on the top, eventhough this dessert is too sweet for me it's still please me in the end ;-) 


I should thanks God that I had a super great night with Chef Will and Palm. They are really a perfect partner in kitchen, a best dynamite duo who knows how to please food lovers while preserving originality of Asian’s cuisine.  Great job Chefs! 


E&O Jakarta
Menara Rajawali 1st Floor
Jl. Ida Anak Agung Gde Agung Lot #5.1
Kawasan Mega Kuningan
Jakarta Selatan
http://eandojakarta.com
@eandojakarta

No comments